Therapeutic Recreation

Apply now »
Therapeutic Recreation

Choose your start date to see related costs, courses, and program requirements.

Check out our delivery method definitions to see what fits your study best »

Post-Graduation Work Permit

The in-person delivery of this program meets the eligibility criteria for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program for international students.

Program requirements for January 2023

Academic requirements
  • Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
    • 50% in English Language Arts 30-1
    • 70% in English Language Arts 30-2
    • 50% in ESLG 1860
    • 70% in ESLG 1898
  • Biology – this requirement can be met with the following, or an equivalent course:
    • 50% in Biology 30

Note: Academic admission requirements are different from English language proficiency requirements. NorQuest College English for Academic Purposes courses may be used to meet both requirements. See below for details.

English language proficiency requirements

If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency before admission. These results must be no more than two years old when you start your program.

Test scores we accept:

  • IELTS Academic: 6.5; no section score below 6
  • TOEFL iBT: 84; no section score below 21
  • Cambridge English Language Assessment: 180; no section score below 165
  • CAEL: 70; no section score below 70
  • PTE Academic: 59; no section score below 56
  • Duolingo: 115
  • minimum of:
If you are missing requirements for this program, you may be eligible to apply for the NorQuest Bridging to Post-Secondary program.

Practicum/work experience requirements

Students may need to travel or relocate anywhere in Alberta to complete their practicum due to site availability and are responsible for the associated costs. Access to a vehicle may be needed. Within the time frame of the program, every effort is made to accommodate student preferences in practicum placements. In extreme circumstances, NorQuest College may need to delay a student’s practicum until a placement becomes available.

Before you attend your practicum, you will need:

  • to successfully complete all prerequisite courses.
  • the following courses. Certificates will be awarded upon completion:
    • BLS (CPR): XHLT 1200 (current within one year)
    • It's Your Move: XHLT 1070 (current within one year)
  • a clear Police Information Check. A Vulnerable Sector Check is also needed if you are over 18 years of age.
  • an up-to-date immunization record.
  • to complete the AHS Information & Privacy online learning module.
  • to complete the HSPNet consent form.
  • N95 mask fit testing (current within two years).

There may be costs associated with completing these requirements. See Completing work, practicum, and clinical requirements for details and further instructions.

International students: You must get a co-op work permit before beginning the work-integrated learning component of the program. A medical exam may also be needed. See Co-op work permit for more information.

Online students

Students in the online delivery must attend an on-campus workshop, including an assessment of practical skills, before starting their practicum.

Progression and graduation

A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is required to be considered in good academic standing.

Students must pass all courses to qualify for graduation.

Honours criteria

  • Overall grade point average (GPA) greater than or equal to 3.7
  • The student must not have failed or repeated any courses

Have a question about the Therapeutic Recreation program?