Are you currently working as a health care aide, or in an equivalent care-giving position, and want to become certified? The Workplace Education option is offered throughout Alberta in partnership with health-care employers. It can be taken over twelve months, allowing you to study at home and have your skills assessed by a NorQuest College trained tutor at your worksite.
In this partnership NorQuest College provides:
- course materials using the 2019 Alberta health care aide provincial curriculum
- HCA tutor orientation and support
- accredited health care aide certification
The health-care employer (agency) provides a sufficient number of tutors who:
- collaborate with students for registration
- supervise students during exams or designate a proctor who oversees exams with students. The program has a total of six online exams (one exam in each theory course)
- evaluate clinical skills
- mentor and support student learning and growth
- collaborate with NorQuest College to help the students progress through the program
Upon successful completion of the NorQuest courses, each student must pass the Alberta Health Care Aide Provincial Exam before receiving their health care aide certification.
Health Care Aide Workplace Education students learn the course content through self-study of the learner materials, and progress through the program according to a schedule that begins at the first of a month and continues for 12 consecutive months. Assessment of theory is evaluated through scheduled online course exams. Assessment of clinical skills is evaluated by the registered tutor.
See Costs and courses for details.
There are additional costs for: