Office of Student Judicial Affairs

The Office of Student Judicial Affairs (OSJA) provides help and advice to students, staff, and faculty involved in dispute resolution.

The OSJA administers the Student Judicial Affairs Policy and the procedures that fall under this policy: Academic misconduct, Non-academic misconduct, Student complaint procedure.

Informal services 

The OSJA provides dedicated office hours for students and faculty who want to reach out for guidance, advice and information.
Office hours are:

  • Confidential – we won’t talk to anyone without your authorization
  • Designed to provide support, advice, and guidance

Book an appointment with Student Judicial Affairs

Formal services 

Non-academic misconduct and complaints 

The OSJA investigates formal complaints of misconduct. We consider something to be formal when we receive an official submission to our office.

We direct Student Complaints to the most appropriate area for investigation (e.g. Human Resources, Academic Program Chair, etc.). The OSJA follows the complaint to its resolution, but does not directly investigate student complaints.

We assess appeals and ensure they flow to resolution when valid.

You can submit a formal complaint, non-academic misconduct report here

Academic misconduct

If an instructor believes Academic Misconduct has occurred, the instructor will meet with students involved and make a submission to the OSJA as Academic Misconduct - Faculty Submission.

Students are an important part of this process and are encouraged to provide their perspective. Student can provide submissions through Academic Misconduct submission form or an email to the

Grade appeals

Grade appeals are the responsibility of the academic program. The OSJA can provide you with advice on the process. Please see the Academic grade appeal procedure.

Understanding the grade appeal process
  1. Student has reasonable cause to question a grade of an assignment, a test/quiz, an examination received in a class.

  2. Within 5 days of receiving the grade, the student should meet with the insturctor to discuss. The student may be accompanied by an attendant for any meeting.

  3. You can appeal for 3 reasons:

    • error in calculation

    • inconsistency with syllabus

    • final grade does not contain all assignments

  4. Unresoved?

    • Appeal to the Program Chair. The decision of the program chair is final.

If the grade appeal results in a changed grade, the instructor will initiate the grade change.

You can contact your program Academic Advisor to help you book a meeting with the Program Chair.

The Office of Student Judicial Affairs can help you prepare an appeal but it is up to you to bring the concern forward to the instructor and/or program chair.

A member of the Office of Student Judicial Affairs can accompany you to a meeting; however we are not able to advocate on your behalf. The Office of Student Judicial Affairs has no position in a Grade Appeal.

Academic Grade Appeal Procedure

 If you have any questions or concerns about any of these processes please contact the OSJA or book some time with us.