Government funding

Have you applied to an academic upgrading, ESL, or employment training program? The Government of Alberta offers financial support to help students complete their training goals.

The following programs qualify for funding:

  • Academic Upgrading
  • Apprenticeship Prep
  • Day Home Provider
  • ESL Intensive
  • Transitions to Employment

Funding may be available for full-time or part-time studies.

You may be eligible if you:

  • are a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Conventional Refugee
  • have limited financial resources
  • have an Alberta address

Visit Foundational Learning Assistance for more information on eligibility and applying.

How to apply for funding

Before applying, you'll need:

Once you have this information, follow these steps to apply.

  1. Apply to a NorQuest College program and complete its admission requirements.
  2. Contact a Student financial advisor to discuss your funding. Information sessions are available to help you prepare.
  3. Enrol in your classes. The student advisor will confirm your enrolment with the Government of Alberta.
  4. Check your NorQuest College email account for a link to apply for funding.

Application dates and deadlines

Term Applications open Application deadline
Spring 2022 April 1, 2022 May 5, 2022
Fall 2022 June 6, 2022 September 2, 2022
Winter 2023 October 17, 2022 January 9, 2023
Spring 2023 February 13, 2023 May 11, 2023

If you are taking Academic Upgrading online anytime classes, contact a Student financial advisor for funding application dates.

Note: The deadline for Foundational Learning Assistance funding is subject to change based on availability of funds and classes.

Contact the Foundational Learning Assistance Program

Questions about applying for Foundational Learning Assistance Program funding? Call Alberta Supports at 1.877.644.9992.

Need information about your application after you've applied? Call the Foundational Learning Assistance Contact Centre at 1.800.222.6485.

Learn how to prepare and apply for Foundational Learning Assistance, presented by a student advisor.

Financial Aid Office

Room 1-204, Civic Employees Legacy Tower, Edmonton campus