Frequently asked questions

How can rural schools participate?

NorQuest understands the barriers rural schools face when engaging with dual credit programs. Most post-secondary institutions are too far away for students to attend classes or labs.

NorQuest’s dual credit programming helps remove these barriers by offering:

  • Online classes

  • Mobile labs so students don’t have to travel into the city to complete their course

  • Assistance with finding partner labs within your community, so students can still participate in the lab component without having to worry about travel demands and expenses

Can students engage with NorQuest’s campus? How?

Absolutely! NorQuest invites all dual credit students to join us on campus and experience college life. Students can take tours, participate in labs, attend events, and use our student support services—such as the Centre for Growth and Harmony, the Indigenous Student Centre, and more.

Are the credits transferable?

Yes! Each dual credit course is transferrable to universities and colleges in Alberta. To learn more about our course collection and the number of transferable credits in each course, please click here. [link to course page]

What are the delivery methods?

NorQuest offers a variety of delivery methods. We understand all students have different study preferences and some students face barriers to attending in-person classes. Our current options include:

  • In-person at the NorQuest campus
  • In-person in the students’ high school classrooms
  • Hyflex
  • Online

To learn about our different delivery methods, please visit this page.

Do all your instructors have post-secondary teaching experience?

Yes! NorQuest’s dual credit instructors are fully qualified with a wide breadth of experience teaching at post-secondary institutions. They are passionate about the work they do and committed to preparing their students for success.

Can the high school teacher instruct the course? 

Depending on the topic, the high school teacher can teach the course if they have the qualifications. NorQuest provides the course material, support from a NorQuest instructor, and the transcript.

Does the high school student need to pay any fees? 

Students will not need to pay any tuition or college fees. However, they may need to purchase a textbook for their program or course.

What is the school responsible for with dual credit? 

Schools are also responsible for providing information about dual credit opportunities to parents and students and assisting students with planning for dual credit experiences in relation to their high school programs and their post-high school career and educational planning.

Schools and school districts must ensure that all relevant Alberta Education policies are followed including those found in the Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12 and the Off-campus Education Handbook.