Co-Op Work Permit

Many NorQuest College programs have a mandatory work-integrated learning or a community service learning component. If you are in one of these programs, you will be going on a practicum, co-op, or other work placement during your studies.

International students must get a co-op work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before beginning the work-integrated learning or community service learning component of their program.

Learn more about working as a co-op student or intern.

Applying from outside Canada

If your program includes a mandatory work placement and/or a community service learning component, you should apply for a co-op work permit at the same time that you apply for your study permit. Apply as soon as you receive your official offer of admission from the Office of the Registrar. Your offer of admission will confirm that your program has a mandatory work-integrated learning component. You will also need to provide a supporting letter to get your co-op work permit.

  1. Review the list below to find your starting term and program.
  2. Print the letter and submit it along with your study permit and co-op work permit application.

Applying from inside Canada

If you need a co-op work permit and you already have your study permit, you must apply for your co-op work permit as soon as possible (at least five months before the scheduled work placement or community service learning) to avoid any delays to your program of study.

  1. You will need to include a co-op work permit supporting letter, issued to you by NorQuest International. Email to request this letter. Include your full name, NorQuest student ID number, and program name.
  2. Once you get this letter from NorQuest International, submit it along with your enrolment verification letter (available in MyQuest) as supporting documents when you apply for your co-op work permit.

Optional work courses

In some programs, work-integrated learning components are offered as elective courses. If you choose to enrol in an optional practicum, work-placement, community service learning, or co-op course, contact NorQuest International at least six months before your placement date to get the necessary documentation to apply for your co-op work permit.

Short-term programs

If you are taking a program of six months or less in duration with a work-integrated learning and/or community service learning component, you must get both a study permit and a co-op work permit before the program start date.

Medical exams

If your placement is in a health sciences setting or needs you to work with children, you may need a medical exam to get your co-op work permit.

Refer to medical exams for visitors, students, and workers for more information.

Learn more about co-op work permit application guidelines.