T2202 Tax Receipt Info

The T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate is an official tax receipt issued to eligible students for use in claiming education expenses on an income tax return. It identifies the amount of eligible tuition and fees that were paid in the preceding calendar year (January 1 through December 31), as well as the number of months of full-time or part-time attendance. Amounts are pro-rated for programs or courses that start and end in different calendar years.

T2202 tax receipts for eligible students will be available by the end of February. T2202s can only be accessed through MyQuest – log in to view, download, or print your tax receipt. View instructions.

Canada Revenue Agency has changed the way education amounts can be claimed. The student’s social insurance number (SIN) will need to be included on Form T2202. To comply, students can now log into MyQuest and update their SIN. View instructions.

Note: Students in upgrading and foundational programs are ineligible for a T2202 tax receipt.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do you mean by eligible tuition and fees?

Not all fees are eligible to be included on the T2202. To qualify as a deduction for income tax purposes, fees must be more than $100 and must be for non-credit courses and/or credit courses taken at the post-secondary level. (Academic Upgrading courses do not qualify.) In addition, non-tuition fees such as Students’ Association and health and dental fees are ineligible.

Refer to the Canada Revenue Agency – Eligible tuition fees for additional information.

If I pay my tuition and fees for my Winter 2022 term in 2021, will it be included on my T2202 for 2020?

No, only tuition and fees paid for courses that started in 2021 are eligible.

If I am taking courses full-time, why does my T2202 state I was part-time?

The full-time/part-time status on the T2202 is based on the hours of attendance in a month, not on your student status. The federal government’s definition of full-time hours may be different than NorQuest College’s definition. Also, the start date of a course may be at the end of a month, affecting the hours calculated for that month.

Note: Some students may be eligible to claim full-time status under the Disability Tax Credit. Refer to Canada Revenue Agency for more information.

The college has the wrong address for me. How can I correct that for my T2202?

You can update your address in MyQuest.

Who do I contact if I can’t remember my User ID and password for MyQuest?

What if I suspect that there is an error on my T2202, or if I have questions relating to my tuition amount or education months? Who do I contact?

I have lost my original tax receipt for an older tax year not available on MyQuest; how do I get a duplicate copy?

Why does my T2202 state ‘Revised’? Can I still use this form for my tax return?

A T2202 denotes ‘Revised’ when a manual adjustment was made to your account. The revised version will reflect the most up-to-date information. It is considered a valid receipt for income tax purposes.

What if a third party (e.g. my parents) wants to claim the amount on the T2202?

The T2202 will only be issued in the name of the person who was registered in classes at the college. You can print the T2202 and sign the authorization on page two of the form to transfer the credits to a third party, such as a parent.

What if I have questions about filing my income tax return or understanding what I can deduct for tax purposes?

Having trouble?

Visit Computer Commons