Fire Rescue and Safety
NorQuest College offers a wide range of Fire Rescue and Safety programming, from beginner courses for those looking to start a career in firefighting, to advanced courses for firefighting professionals moving forward in their careers.
With approval from the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) of Alberta, we offer training to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards with certification for:
- National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board®)
- International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
Most courses involve a theory and a practical skills training component followed by a written exam and a practical skills evaluation.
- In partnership with Achiever Education Training (AET), the theory can be completed using online or classroom formats. AET is the online provider offering a robust, innovative and results-oriented training program. To aid in students' success taking the online format, a qualified firefighter instructor will be assigned and available for each step of the way. Online course cohorts start the 1st Monday of each month.
- The practical skills training component is conducted at approved OFC training sites. Arrangements can be made to use any of the other OFC training sites in Alberta.
- The written exam and practical skills evaluation is required by the accrediting agency for the student to be eligible to apply for certification. The exam requires a pass rate of 70%. The practical skills evaluation requires a pass rate of 100% on those skills tested. The practical skills evaluation will take place at a number of regional fire services departments, at NorQuest College’s many Regional campuses, or at partnering post-secondary college’s throughout Alberta.
From entry-level firefighter programs to specialized courses in wildland and industrial firefighting, rope rescue, fire inspector, and more, there are options for beginners and for seasoned professionals looking to move forward in their careers.
Whether you’re an individual, small group, or part of a larger organization, we offer flexible face-to-face and online options and can deliver training through our regularly-scheduled course offerings and customized delivery designed to meet your organization’s specific needs.
See a full listing of available courses
NorQuest College offers maximum flexibility for corporate training delivery options. Choose from one of the following:
- Customized delivery. We'll set up a specific delivery just for your employees at one of our campuses, at your workplace, or at another convenient venue, and we will customize the course content to meet your organization's specific needs.
- Register in scheduled Continuing Education courses. Ideal for an individual or small group, participation in one of our regularly scheduled courses ensures your employees get training right away.
Contact us for more information on setting up the best delivery for your team: