PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
|There are no further intakes available for this academic year.|
TUITION & FEES
- Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- Mathematics – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- 65% in MATH 1905 or 50% in Mathematics 10-3
This 12-week, fast-paced Veterinary Office Assistant program will prepare you to work in the veterinary field supporting veterinarians and technicians while interacting with clients and their pets to help make their experience a positive one. Students learn office administrative skills such as customer service and billing, veterinary medical terminology, and medical record keeping. Further, students will participate in a four-week work experience placement in a veterinary-related office to practice and refine their skills.
Individuals are more likely to be successful in this career if they:
- have a genuine love for a variety of animals and enjoy working with the public
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands (e.g., lift up to 16 kg/35 lbs and push or pull 45 kg/100 lbs)
- are able to work shift work, including evenings and weekends
- work well in a team environment
- have access to a PC computer with a stable Internet connection
- have keyboarding and basic computer skills
- can type 40 words per minute before the program starts
- are able to dedicate 40-50 hours per week for full-time studies
This program is not recommended for international students as the work permit required for the practicum may not arrive in time.
This program includes a 150-hour practicum.
The practicum may be arranged in or close to the student's community. The student's practicum schedule will follow the preceptor's schedule and may include day, evening, or night shifts any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. Students are required to work full-time during the practicum and provide their own transportation to the facility.