Optical Office Assistant
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
- 50% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 65% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent or completion of ESLG 1898 and ESLG 1899 with a minimum of 50%
- 65% in MATH 1905 or 50% in Mathematics 10-3 or equivalent
Note: If it has been 10 or more years since you completed mathematics courses (i.e. Math 10, 20, 30 or Math 13, 23, 33), you will be required to complete a skills assessment, take a challenge exam, or complete upgrading to meet the mathematics requirement.
Conditional or provisional admission may be granted to applicants who are missing admission requirements after satisfying other conditions. See Admissions Process for more details.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. ELP test results must have been obtained within two years of the start date of your program.
Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following test scores:
- CLBA: no section score below 8
- IELTS Academic: overall score of 6.5; no section score below 6.0
- TOEFL iBT: 84; no section score below 21
- CELPIP General: 8; no section score below 7
- CAEL: 60; no section score below 60
- Minimum 80% in ESLS 8000 or ESLS 8100, and 80% in ESLW 8000 or ESLW 8100
- Minimum of 50% in ESLG 1860 and ESLG 1861
Note: ELP is a separate requirement from the English academic admission requirement.
Practicum/Work Experience Requirements
Students are required to travel to various locations to complete their clinical practice experiences. Within the time frame of the program, every effort is made to accommodate students in clinical placement. Students may need to travel up to 100 kilometres; access to a vehicle may be required. Students will be required to work variety of shifts during practicum including days, evenings, and weekends.
The following are not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend the practicum. There may be additional costs associated with completing these requirements.
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses.
- The following courses are required. Certificates will be awarded upon completion:
- XBUS 1017 (current within three years)
- Keyboarding speed of 40 words per minute as verified in XBUS 1165
- Clear Police Information Check (with vulnerable sector check). The original Police Information Check must be submitted in person, or by mail. Photocopies, faxes, scans, or emails are not accepted. See Work, Practicum, and Clinical Requirements for full details.
Submit the required certificates and forms listed above (unless otherwise indicated):
- by email to ClientServRep_Health@NorQuest.ca
International students must obtain a study permit and co-op work permit before beginning this program. See Co-Op Work Permit Permit for more information.
ProgressionStudents must attain a pass grade in each course to progress through the program.
Graduation RequirementsTo qualify for graduation, students must pass all courses and maintain an overall GPA of 2.0.
- Overall grade point average (GPA) greater than or equal to 3.7
- The student must not have failed or repeated any courses
Students require a computer with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access), and a stable internet connection for this program. Learn more about Bringing Your Own Device