PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- 60% in English Language Arts 20-2 or equivalent
Health Care Aide workplace education delivery applications only:
- all program admission requirements listed
- must be currently employed as a front-line caregiver in a participating agency
English Language Proficiency Requirements
If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. ELP test results must have been obtained within two years of the start date of your program.
Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following test scores:
- IELTS Academic: 6; no section score below 5.5
- TOEFL iBT: 71
- CELPIP General: 7; no section score below 6
See Admissions Process for the steps to becoming a student.
Practicum/Work Experience Requirements
The following is not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend the practicum. There may be additional costs associated with completing these requirements.
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses.
- The following course is required; a certificate will be awarded upon completion:
- XHLT 1070 (current within one year)
- Clear Police Information Check. The original Police Information Check must be submitted in person, or by mail. Photocopies, faxes, scans, or emails are not accepted. See Work, Practicum, and Clinical Requirements for full details.
- Up-to-date immunization record.* See Work, Practicum, and Clinical Requirements for full details.
- Completion of the AHS Information & Privacy online learning module. Sign the Confidentiality and User Agreement on the last page of the module.
- Read and sign the HSPNet consent form (390KB pdf).
- N95 mask fit testing as arranged by the program (current within two years).
Submit the required certificates and forms listed above (unless otherwise indicated):
- by email to ClientServRep_Health@NorQuest.ca
* Immunization requirements:
- For regional part-time delivery students, up-to-date immunizations must be completed and a record submitted two weeks prior to entry into the program.
- For full-time, all other part-time, and online delivery students, up-to-date immunizations must be completed and a record submitted two weeks prior to the first clinical practice.
International students must obtain a co-op work permit before beginning the work-integrated learning component of the program. A medical exam may also be required. See Co-Op Work Permit for more information.
Students must attain a pass grade in each course to progress through the program.
To qualify for graduation, students must pass all courses and the provincial HCA examination.
- Overall grade point average (GPA) greater than or equal to 3.7
- The student must not have failed or repeated any courses