Health Care Aide
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
21 weeks (full-time), 28 weeks (part-time/online), 8 or 12 months (workplace)
TUITION & FEES
Total tuition: $2,800.00
Total fees: $986.00
Total tuition: $8,120.00
Total fees: $986.00
- English Language Arts 10-1, or English Language Arts 20-1, 20-2, 30-1, or 30-2, or equivalent, or successful completion of academic testing through NorQuest College Assessment Services.
Note: International documents for this program will NOT be accepted and applicants will be required to write the academic skills test.
Health Care Aide Workplace Education delivery applicants only:
- All program admission requirements listed
- Must be currently employed as a front-line caregiver in a participating agency
NorQuest College’s Health Care Aide program is among the largest in Canada and prepares you to be a part of a health-care team in a variety of different settings, providing a high level of front-line care to clients in need of assistance. NorQuest College is licensed to deliver the Health Care Aide Government of Alberta Provincial Curriculum.
If you are a caring person who likes to help others, the Health Care Aide program may be for you. NorQuest College is licensed to deliver the Health Care Aide Government of Alberta Provincial Curriculum.
Applicants are requested to review the job requirements listed below and assess their ability to fulfill the demands of the occupation of health care aide.
As a health care aide, you must be able to:
- Work shifts and weekends
- Be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Use your knees, back, and arms to move clients who have minimal body strength
- Function effectively in stressful situations
- Perform all skills independently
This program is available full-time, part-time, through workplace learning, and online through eCampusAlberta.
- Fall and winter starts
- Variable start dates for regional programs
- Monthly admission for learning in the workplace, excluding January. Additional workplace deliveries are available. The Health Care Aide Workplace Education option is offered throughout Alberta in partnership with health-care employers. If you are interested in this program option, please consult your employer.
- Part-time options allow you to continue working while you complete the HCA program.
- Online program can be taken anywhere in the province through eCampusAlberta. Labs and workshops for online students will be held at the downtown Edmonton campus, which may require students to travel.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands.
- have access to a vehicle to travel to complete their clinical practice experiences.
- have access to a computer and basic computer skills.