PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
2 or 3 terms
TUITION & FEES
- Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in English Language Arts 20-2 or equivalent
Health Care Aide workplace education delivery applicants only:
- all program admission requirements listed
- must be currently employed as a front-line caregiver in a participating agency
Are you currently working as a health care aide, or in an equivalent care-giving position, and do you want to become certified? The Health Care Aide (HCA) Workplace Education option is offered throughout Alberta in partnership with health-care employers. The program is taken over twelve months, with paced home study and on the job practice and skills assessment by a NorQuest College approved tutor. During the program, you must work 320 hours in a client care role to meet program requirements.
NorQuest College HCA Workplace staff monitor the program and are available to orient and support tutors, as well as to answer questions from students. Staff are also available to assist managers and tutors to organize implementation of the HCA Workplace delivery at new partner worksites.
For further information about the Workplace delivery, or to find out if your employer offers this option, email HCA.Workplace@NorQuest.ca or call 780.644.6400.
The Workplace delivery of the Health Care Aide program is a partnership between NorQuest College and health-care employers. In this partnership NorQuest College provides:
- course materials using the 2019 Alberta HCA Provincial curriculum
- HCA student and tutor supports
- accredited HCA certification upon successful completion of the Provincial Exam
The health-care employer provides tutors who:
- collaborate with students for registration
- mentor and support student learning and growth
- supervise students during exams or designate a proctor to evaluate clinical skills
- collaborate with NorQuest College to facilitate each student’s progress through the HCA program
- You must be currently employed as a health care aide or in a similar role.
- You must meet all standard HCA program requirements.
- You should be prepared to learn course content through self-study of the online learner materials.
- You will progress through the program according to a schedule that begins at the start of a month and continues for 12 consecutive months. Intakes are available each month (except for January).
- You will prepare for scheduled online course exams.
- You will prepare for clinical skills assessments where you will be evaluated by a work site tutor.
- At the end of your studies, you must successfully pass the Alberta HCA Provincial Exam.
To become a Workplace delivery student:
- Talk to your employer first to make sure they participate in the program and can support you as a student.
- Apply to NorQuest College through ApplyAlberta, and choose the Health Care Aide Workplace option. Read about the rest of the admissions process at norquest.ca/apply.
See Tuition and Fees for details.
There are additional costs for:
- textbooks. Books can be purchased through the NorQuest College bookstore, The Core
- the Alberta HCA Provincial Exam