PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- graduation from a Bachelor of Nursing program outside of Canada
English Language Proficiency Requirements
This program is designed for internationally educated nurses that have a desire to acquire nursing designation in Canada. You must provide proof of your English language proficiency (ELP) level before admission. ELP test results must have been obtained within two years of the start date of your program.
Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following test scores:
- IELTS Academic: no score below 7.5 in listening, 7 in speaking, 6.5 in reading, 7 in writing
- TOEFL iBT: 94
- CELBAN: no score below 10 in listening, 8 in speaking, 8 in reading, 7 in writing
- minimum of 50% in ESLG 1860 and ESLG 1861
For those who do not yet meet the English language proficiency requirements of the Practical Nurse for Internationally Educated Nurses program, there is an opportunity to take English language courses in your first term. For this English language stream of the program, acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following test scores:
- IELTS Academic: no score below 6 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- TOEFL iBT: 71
- CELBAN: no score below 7 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- minimum of 80% in ESLS 7000 or ESLS 7100, and 80% in ESLW 7000 or ESLW 7100
- Duolingo: 110
Practicum/Work Experience Requirements
The following are not needed for admission purposes, but will be needed before you attend the first clinical practice. There may be costs associated with completing these requirements.
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses.
- The following courses are required; certificates will be awarded upon completion:
- Clear Police Information Check. Vulnerable Sector Check is also needed if over 18 years of age.
- Up-to-date immunization records.
- Completion of the AHS Information & Privacy online learning module.
- Completion of the HSPNet consent form.
- N95 mask fit testing (current within two years).
See Work, Practicum, and Clinical Requirements for full details and instructions for all these requirements.
International students must get a co-op work permit before beginning the work-integrated learning component of the program. A medical exam may also be needed. See Co-Op Work Permit for more information.
ProgressionA minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is needed to be considered in good academic standing.
Students must pass all courses and achieve a minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA) to qualify for graduation. The program must be completed within five years of your start date. After successfully completing this program, graduates will be awarded a NorQuest Practical Nurse diploma.
- Overall grade point average (GPA) greater than or equal to 3.7
- The student must not have failed or repeated any courses