PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
- Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- Mathematics – this requirement can be met with the following, or an equivalent course:
- 50% in Mathematics 10C
- Biology – this requirement can be met with the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in Biology 30
Assist patients to overcome injuries or impairments as a valuable member of an interdisciplinary health-care team. You will develop a strong occupational and physical therapy assistant background, and learn to incorporate essential assistant-level skills in speech language therapy and therapeutic recreation.
The program delivers theoretical knowledge and hands-on skills using a balance of discipline-specific and interdisciplinary courses.
Program graduates will be prepared to:
- communicate and collaborate as a valuable member of a client-centred interdisciplinary health-care team
- assist with effective physical therapy and occupational therapy practice by providing safe and competent care across client populations
- support other rehabilitation disciplines, including therapeutic recreation and speech-language pathology
- demonstrate effective professionalism, leadership, and reflective practice skills
Applicants are requested to review the job requirements listed below and assess their ability to fulfill the demands of the therapy assistant occupation. As a therapy assistant, you must be able to:
- work shifts and weekends
- be on your feet for extended periods of time
- use your knees, back, and arms to assist clients
- lift 30 pounds
- touch and provide care for clients of all ages, cultures, and genders
- manage time and resources in a busy work setting
- communicate and collaborate effectively in a team
- enjoy working with people
Note: This new program is founded on the accredited Physical Therapy Assistant diploma program and is seeking accreditation for the first graduating cohort.
The Interdisciplinary Therapy Assistant program is seeking accreditation by the Occupational Therapist Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada. The program has been granted Candidacy Status, which denotes an affiliation with the OTA & PTA EAP and is a pre-requisite for accreditation of the education program. Candidacy Status does not assure that the program will be granted accreditation status once the program undergoes a full accreditation review.
For details regarding accreditation contact:
OTA & PTA EAP, c/o PEAC
Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West, London, Ontario N6J 1Y5