PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
NorQuest College’s Health Care Aide program is among the largest in Canada and prepares you to be a part of a health-care team in a variety of different settings, providing a high level of front-line care to clients in need of assistance. NorQuest College is licensed to deliver the 2019 Health Care Aide Government of Alberta Provincial Curriculum.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands
- have access to a vehicle to travel to complete their practicum
- have access to a computer and basic computer skills
Applicants should review the job requirements listed below and assess your ability to fulfill the demands of the health care aide occupation.
As a health care aide, you must be able to:
- work day, evening, and night shifts any day of the week
- be on your feet for extended periods of time
- bend, squat and lift up to 40 pounds to move clients who have minimal body strength
- function effectively in stressful situations
- perform all skills independently
The Health Care Aide Workplace Education option is offered throughout Alberta in partnership with health-care employers. Consult your employer if you are interested in this program option.
This program includes three practicums totalling 320 hours.