Apply Now


There are no further intakes available for this academic year.


Program length  

6 terms



More details


Total: $12,493.00

Total: $39,013.00

More details


  • 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or equivalent
More details

Admission Requirements

Academic Requirements

  • 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or equivalent

Conditional or provisional admission may be granted to applicants who are missing admission requirements after satisfying other conditions. See Admissions Process for more details.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. ELP test results must have been obtained within two years of the start date of your program.

Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following test scores:

  • CLBA: no section score below 8
  • IELTS Academic: 6.5; no section score below 6
  • TOEFL iBT: 84; no section score below 21
  • CELPIP General: 8; no section score below 7
  • CAEL: 60; no section score below 60
  • minimum of 80% in ESLS 8000 or ESLS 8100, and 80% in ESLW 8000 or ESLW 8100; or minimum of 50% in ESLG 1860 and ESLG 1861

Note: ELP is a separate requirement from the English academic admission requirement.

Other Requirements

To be admitted to the Social Work program, you must provide documentary evidence of having completed at least 100 hours of volunteer or paid work experience in the human services field. These guidelines describe the types of volunteer or work experience that are acceptable.

You must have worked the 100 hours within the last five years of the start date of your program with one organization. A confidential letter of reference is required from your direct volunteer or employment supervisor on the company/organization’s letterhead. The letter must describe the length of time you volunteered or worked and the nature of the work you performed.

This letter must be submitted:

  • by email directly from the supervisor to, or
  • by mail directly from the supervisor to the Office of the Registrar, or
  • in an envelope that was sealed by the supervisor

The 100 hours must be completed in a:

  • work setting that falls under the Health Professions Act (Alberta),
  • registered/accredited human services agency/organization, or
  • social services agency/organization

Your work or volunteer hours must include direct contact with clients, community- or human services-related projects.

Volunteer or work opportunities can often be found in helping agencies, outreach organizations, schools, hospitals, crisis lines, programs for at-risk youth, women’s shelters, long-term care facilities, and agencies for people with addictions, homelessness, mental illness, or mental challenges. Refer to the Canadian Mental Health Association resource list if you need information on where to find such organizations/agencies.

If you have any questions about the suitability of your volunteer or work experience, contact Admissions at

Practicum/Work Experience Requirements

The following is not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend the practicum. There may be additional costs associated with completing this requirement.

  • Clear Police Information Check and Intervention Record Check. The original Police Information Check must be submitted in person, or by mail. Photocopies, faxes, scans, or emails are not accepted. See Work, Practicum, and Clinical Requirements for full details.

International students must obtain a co-op work permit before beginning the work-integrated learning component of the program. A medical exam may also be required. See Co-Op Work Permit for more information.

Graduation Requirements

Students must pass all courses to qualify for graduation.

Honours Criteria

  • Overall grade point average (GPA) greater than or equal to 3.7
  • The student must not have failed or repeated any courses