Updated: September 20, 2021 6:30 AM

New safety measures in effect

All visitors to NorQuest campuses for classes or other services must declare their vaccination status.

More details

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment?

Appointments can be booked in person at the Centre for Growth and Harmony (room 1-101) or by calling 780.644.6155.

What if I have to cancel my appointment?

If you need to cancel your appointment, call 780.644.6155 and the receptionist can assist in rebooking. We ask that you give us as much notice as possible so that another student can be booked in the available spot.

How long will it take?

The first session may be shorter (30 to 50 minutes) and will involve paperwork and talking about your concerns and privacy. Follow-up appointments can take up to 50 minutes based on what you and your professional are working on together.

Will everyone know my problem(s)?

The professionals within the Centre for Growth and Harmony keep the information you share private. They need your permission to share any information outside the Wellness Team and will only ask if it’s absolutely necessary. There are exceptions to this privacy as there are laws around preserving life, and this will be discussed on the first visit. You are always able to choose what you want to tell. We do not share information with instructors unless you give us written permission.

Are the individuals in the Centre for Growth and Harmony professional and well qualified?

Yes, all the professionals within the Centre for Growth and Harmony are well-trained and qualified; each are registered with their respective licensing body.

What if I need to talk to someone when the Centre is closed?

If you need assistance outside business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:15 am – 4:30 pm) and it is an emergency, call 911 or if you are on campus, contact security. The Community Resource page also provides a list of organizations that may be able to assist you.

Will people think I am weak if I see someone for support?

Asking for support shows courage and strength and is often one of the most difficult things to do. Choosing to see a professional indicates you recognize a problem and are taking responsibility for your personal wellness.

Isn’t seeking mental health support only for people who are 'insane,' 'unsuccessful' or 'crazy'?

Mental health support is for anyone. Students have stresses unique to their situation and are often in a big transition. Transition means change and need for adjustment, and this can be overwhelming and stressful. Many healthy, successful, and responsible people seek mental health support to work out a specific problem because they wish to make a change; have an important decision to make; are not feeling happy; are just not able to sleep or concentrate.

At times, we manage to bounce back on our own or with the help of a friend, parent, teacher, or relative. But there are times when nothing works. In these situations, seeing a professional can help. You are showing that you want to master your problem solving skills. Mental Health Professionals are here to help you think through your problems, increase understanding, and discover solutions for yourself.

Will I have all the answers I need after the first session?

While most people feel much better after their first session, they do not walk away with all the answers. The first session is usually designed for you and a professional from the Centre for Growth and Harmony to get to know each other.

A mental health professional works with you and will sometimes make suggestions; they will not tell you what to do. The mental health professional’s role is to listen and help you manage your own personal issues.

Although they have special training, it is believed you are the one holding the power and control to make changes. It is also important to remember that depending on the seriousness of the problem, it may take some time and effort to resolve it.

Can I get medications from the Centre for Growth & Harmony?

No. Professionals in the Centre for Growth and Harmony will not give out any type of medications. This includes Tylenol, Advil, Gravol, or throat lozenges.

How do I complete my immunizations for my clinical placement?

Do the workshops and classes offered by the Centre for Growth and Harmony cost anything to register?

There are no fees for students to attend the workshops and classes. Please contact the Centre for Growth and Harmony to register for upcoming offerings.

What if I need help but I speak very little English?

If you consent, you are welcome to bring someone you feel comfortable with to help translate. We will discuss how this will impact the confidentiality we can offer. Ideally, we want to get you connected with a service provider who can provide support in the language you feel most comfortable with, which may mean connecting you with community organizations.

Contact Information

Room 1-101, Singhmar Centre for Learning
Edmonton Campus





Monday - Friday
8:15am - 4:30pm
Appointments can be made in person or by phone.

Note: Student services are available to all NorQuest students but may not be delivered on site at all campuses.