Threats of Violence Procedure
NorQuest College is committed to providing a safe working environment for our employees, students and visitors. However, we live in a world where violence and threats of violence happen.
A threat of violence is defined as one person threatening another with either language, physical movement or a weapon indicating that they intend to harm that person.
At NorQuest we have had to deal with incidents where a threat of violence had been made toward a student or toward an employee.
When an incident is reported, we
- Investigate the incident,
- Do a threat assessment,
- Report it to the EPS, and
- Take any other action that is deemed necessary to manage the risk.
Although threats at our college are uncommon you need to know what to do should you receive a threat or overhear a threat to another person.
What to do if you receive a threat
- Whenever possible seek a safe place by removing yourself from the person making the threat.
- Call Facilities Management at 780.644.6215.
- If the situation poses a danger to personal safety or appears to be serious, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- At Downtown Campus locations, call Security at 780.991.4573.
- Once you have done the above notify your respective manager or instructor.