Dual Credit Information for Students and Parents

Take post-secondary courses in high school – and earn credit for both at the same time!

Eager to get started on your future right now? You don’t have to wait to finish high school to enroll in post-secondary courses and earn credits toward your high school diploma AND post-secondary credits at the same time.

Dual credit experiences are available at participating high schools in NorQuest's stewardship region. Dual credit experiences are available to all high school students in these schools meeting entrance requirements and their individual school's selection requirements.

Courses are scheduled with consideration of regular high school courses, programs, and interests, and may include opportunities and experiences with employers outside of regular school hours.

NorQuest College is working with the following school districts to offer the following courses:

School District School(s) Courses/Programs Offered
Edmonton Catholic School Division Archbishop MacDonald High School
Mother Margaret Mary High School
St. Joseph's High School
Health Care Aide program
Post-secondary courses
Evergreen Catholic Separate Regional School Division Living Waters Christian Academy
Memorial High School
Onoway High School
Spruce Grove Composite High School
St. Peter the Apostle High School
Administrative Professional program
Health Care Aide program
Greater St. Albert Roman Catholic Separate School District Morinville Community High School Post-secondary courses
Pembina Hills Regional School Division Barrhead Composite High School
Mayerthorpe High School
Health Care Aide program
Northern Gateway Regional Division Mayerthorpe High School
Onoway High School
Administrative Professional program
Health Care Aide program



Dual Credit Benefits

Students gain the benefit of exploring career interests and specific occupations while earning high school and post-secondary credits. Some sequences of courses may lead to workplace credentials recognized by employers and industry associations.

Future Post-Secondary Credits

Colleges, polytechnics, or universities may exempt students from courses based on dual credit coursework completed in high school if the coursework is directly related to the students’ post-secondary program. For example, if you take a dual credit certificate program opportunity in high school, and you continue on to that same program in a post-secondary, you may receive advance credit towards that program and not need to take that coursework again in your post-secondary program.

Dual Credit Opportunities Delivery Options

There are a number of options for taking dual credit courses. Courses may be offered at your high school, you might attend classes at the college, or you could take courses with college students on campus or at a community learning centre. Students from several high schools can be grouped together to form one class. Online and videoconference delivery are other options. Several delivery modes can be used in any one dual credit project.

Student and Parents/Guardians Responsibilities

To be involved in dual credit opportunities, both students and parents/guardians

  • are responsible for understanding the requirements of the particular dual credit opportunity.
  • Students must adhere to the academic and code of conduct policies of the college in addition to those of their high school.

Get Started on your Dual Credit Opportunity!

Now that you know the benefits, here’s how you can get involved in this exciting opportunity.

Step 1:  Gather all the Information you need

  • Review this document and select the course or courses that fit your interest and your high school program.
  • Be prepared for the expectations of college courses. You will have to meet the same standards as college students taking the courses, follow the college’s policies, and attend all classes. College courses are scheduled over four months rather than the longer five-month high school semester.
  • If you are interested in enrolling in one of the courses listed above, you and your parents/guardians may want to meet with the high school counselor or a school administrator to obtain more information about the dual credit course and how it will fit into your high school program and your post-high school career and educational goals.
  • You may want to research the related career possibilities by looking at the Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS) website at http://alis.alberta.ca/. Click on the High School Students section to access a wide variety of information. If you learn more about related careers before you apply, you will be more successful in an interview with the college (if one is required) and more successful once you enroll in the course.

Step 2:  Apply to the Dual Credit Program

  1. Get the approval of your school counselor/administrator to ensure that you are eligible to participate in the dual credit project.
  2. Complete the NorQuest College Dual Credit Application Form (213K pdf) which you can download here or obtain from counselor or administrator. If you are under 18, your parent/guardian must also sign the application form.
  3. Return your completed application form to your counselor or administrator. He/she will send it to NorQuest College.

Step 3:  Admission and Orientation

  • Students are accepted into courses on a first qualified, first served basis.  For this reason, it is very important to complete all parts of the application package and submit it on time.
  • You may be required to attend an interview with a representative of NorQuest College and a representative of your School District. If an interview is required, it will be scheduled at the college or your high school, or it may take place by videoconference.
  • You will receive a letter from the college once you have been accepted into the course.  If it is full, a wait list may be established. If there are not enough applications, the course may be cancelled.
  • You may be required to attend an orientation at a NorQuest College site or at your high school prior to the start of classes.
  • Tuition and other fees may be paid for by the school district as a part of the dual credit project. 



For more information

If you are interested in Dual Credit Programs for high school students, contact your high school counselor or administrator.