NorQuest College’s Landmark Group Centre for Value Improvement integrates NorQuest’s successful work within our own College, and broadens it to include industry sectors such as health care and manufacturing, as well as the public and service sectors.
We provide your organization with the tools, methodology, training and on-going long term support to address the critical success factors in any process improvement initiative.
If you want to improve your organization’s process to support
- improving your bottom line
- results-based budgeting
- efficiencies and effectiveness
- organizational change
Our highly trained and skilled Process Improvement consultants can offer
Customized Process Improvement Training
NorQuest College’s Landmark Group Centre for Value Improvement integrates NorQuest’s successful work with Lean business practices in the print media industry and our own College, and broadens it to include industry sectors such as health care and manufacturing, as well as the public and service sectors.
We provide your organization with the tools, methodology, training and on-going support to address the critical success factors in any process improvement initiative:
- Leadership commitment – Leaders must acknowledge the risks and rewards associated with any transformational culture shift and stand firm on the commitment to change.
- Clear governance and accountability for process improvement
- Individual responsibility – Staff at all levels must understand their authority, responsibility and accountability for carrying out their process improvement responsibilities.
- Measurement – Measures of success should be clearly defined, documented, and reviewed regularly to ensure progress is on target.
- Managed expectations – Ensure business process improvement resources are used effectively. Expectations of business process improvement need to be managed to ensure quality. Work is provided to support the deployment of the initiative.
- Training and tools – Staff need to be provided with the necessary training, supported by a strong infrastructure and tools for process improvement.
Our training and support takes a holistic approach to business process improvement, helping you move your organization to a lasting transformation improvement culture, as opposed to one searching for quick win improvements.
Comparison of the two approaches
||Quick Win Improvement
||Transformational Improvement Culture
||Improve efficiency and effectiveness as well as maximizing value delivered to clients
||Improve efficiency and effectiveness as well as maximizing value delivered to clients
||Address the “low hanging fruits”
||A comprehensive, systematic and integrated approach to enable culture change
||Number of quick win opportunities
||Organizational readiness and capacity for change
||Large number of fast improvements
Smaller initial investment
|Build towards a long term process improvement culture while focusing on fast improvements initially
Develop a highly engaged workforce
Reduce dependency on process improvement consultants (internal and external) to lead the improvement efforts
Help staff to develop process improvement competencies and knowledge. Enable staff to lead the improvements in their business areas
||Not addressing the long term needs
May not deliver the magnitude of change required to enable a transformational culture shift
Limited opportunities for staff to develop process improvement competencies and knowledge
Strong dependency on process improvement consultants (internal and external) to lead the process improvement efforts
|Limited tangible evidence to support the need for larger Initial investment
Organization may not be ready for the transformational change (e.g., capacity, knowledge).
||Smaller initial investment in infrastructure and foundation development
||Larger initial investment to properly manage change (e.g., staff training) and develop a solid infrastructure and foundation
||Short-term fast improvement, but reaching a plateau early in the improvement journey
||Long lasting improvement to deliver greater magnitude of change required to enable transformational culture shift
It is important to note that both approaches will focus on rapid improvement projects during the first couple of years, thus achieving similar results, but the transformative culture results in lasting improvements.
Business Process Improvement Guiding Principles
Several guiding principles support a transformation platform. Our experienced team follow these principles to support development of the business process improvement framework, methodology and deployment:
- Deliver value to the client by enhancing quality, capacity, knowledge, performance and productivity.
- Develop strong infrastructures (e.g., training material, collaboration tools, service level agreements, data analysis tool, etc.).
- Empower and enhance professional skills through organizational development.
- Engage in the streamlining of work processes by eliminating wasteful or unnecessary processes.
- Pursue end-to-end process improvement.
- Seek to improve the culture and processes over the long term.
- Embrace continuous improvement.
- Ensure accessibility to Business Process Improvement (BPI) information.
Implementation Support Services
Our experts in process improvement follow a clear methodology to help you achieve your process improvement goals and objectives.
- Research overview
- Benchmarking - understand the methodology used by others, and their key successes and challenges throughout their improvement journey.
- Methodology Research Analysis – assess each methodology’s strengths, weaknesses and alignment to the selection criteria.
- Recommend approach
- Choose the tool or tools that best support the organizational goals and objectives.
- Assist in establishing governance structure and accountability
- At the organizational and project levels.
- Design Training Framework
- At the appropriate level of knowledge at each level to ensure effective contribution to project execution.
- Focuses on developing the interpersonal and teamwork skills necessary for employees to actively take part in continuous improvement and problem-solving tasks before process improvement concepts are introduced.
- Establish Communities of Practice
- Build a highly integrated, engaged, learning and sharing organization that cuts across formal organization structure and boundaries, which evolves as the business process improvement practice matures over time.
- Communicate Improvements
- Improvement Program deployment to succeed, it is vital that the need and urgency for change and the vision for change is communicated as early as possible to all employees in the organization.
- The specific benefits associated with process improvement should be outlined clearly to all. Employees are likely to be more motivated to embrace change if they can see how it will benefit them in comparison with the status quo.
- Develop a strategic communication plan for process improvement to foster a sense of security and acceptance for change among employees and engage them as early in the change process as possible.
- Apply a Structured Approach to Process Improvement
- It may seem overwhelming to attempt to address business process improvement at all levels of the organization. Applying a structured problem solving approach breaks a business process improvement initiative into smaller manageable sizes and works through each piece project-by-project.
- Form project “collaborative” to increase the success of the teams as they engage in problem-solving.
- Develop 5-year process improvement program development targets
- 5-year targets provide a framework to measure the expected shift in culture, leadership/staff development, process program development, execution capability, internal training and process improvement projects completed over the next five years.
- Deployment and milestone setting
- Set milestones and identify required infrastructure and tools.
- Deploy process improvement program.
- Monitor, maintain, and continue supporting efforts throughout the program and beyond.
Ongoing and Long-term Support
Many consultants can assist you with planning and training. NorQuest College’s difference is that we stay with you through implementation and beyond. We want to ensure your process improvement efforts are successful and sustainable in the long term, and we will be there for you.
At NorQuest College, we
- Provide additional specialized expertise to expedite improvement efforts
- Share and teach industry best practices
- Provide organizational change management assistance
- Further develop internal training resources
- Assist with identification of problems and more effective and efficient ways of deploying process improvement
- Increase capability of internal team
Contact us for your consultation and start improving value for your organization today.