Q. When I try to log in, I get the message "ACCESS DENIED This account is already logged on another computer... "

A. Students are able to log on to only one computer at a time. This message indicates that you are already logged on to another computer and did not log off properly. A dialogue box will appear allowing you to remotely log off the previous computer. You will then be able to log on to the current computer.

Q. I have forgotten my password. What do I do?

A: Go to the Computer Commons Help Desk in the Learner Centre. Bring your NorQuest student ID card or another form of legal photo ID, and Computer Commons staff will be happy to reset your password. If you do not have a valid ID card, you will be asked to verify your identity by confirming the address and phone number listed in your account, or any other information as determined by the Computer Commons staff.

Q. I tried to login but the computer says my account has expired. It will not let me login. What do I do?

A: All student computer accounts expire on the last day of class or of the semester.

If your account has expired before the day shown on your ID card, please go to the Computer Help Desk for assistance. Present your student ID card and let them know that you are getting a message saying your account has expired.

Q. Where should I save my work?

A: Save your files in at least two places (e.g., H: drive and your USB device). Do not save to “My Documents.” After every reboot, the computer will revert to a clean state and files saved in “My Documents” will be lost.

Q. What is the H: drive?

A: As a student, you have storage space on the NorQuest network. This storage space is known as the H:\ drive. You can access this drive from any computer in the college.

Q. How do I find the H:\ drive?

A: Go to My Computer and double click on the icon. You will see your H:\ drive there.

Q. I get a message telling me my H: Drive is full

A: You have a limited amount of space in your H: Drive. If you can no longer save anything to the H: Drive because it is full you will need to delete or move any unused or unnecessary files. The H: Drive is for school-related files only.

Q. I pressed the Save button the last time I was working on the computer and now I cannot find my file. Where is it?

A: You probably saved to “My Documents.” You should not save here. After every reboot, the computer will revert to a clean state and any files in “My Documents” will be erased. You have to save to your H: drive and/or another memory device, such as your USB key.

Q. How much can I print?

A: When you register, you have 200 print pages assigned to you per semester. Your course of study may require more than this. The balance on your printing credits is shown on the desktop in a dialogue box called "Paper Cut".

Q. Do I have to pay for printing? 

A: No. However, if you use up all of the pages in your print quota, you will have to buy more. The cost is 5 cents per page plus GST. The minimum purchase is 100 pages.

Q. I have run out of printing. What do I do?

A: The Computer Commons area does not take payment. You have to go to the Office of the Registrar (main floor) and purchase more printing credits. The Office of the Registrar will give you a receipt. Bring the receipt back to the Computer Commons Help Desk and staff will add the credit to your account. The Office of the Registrar closes at 4:15 PM daily.

Contact Information

5th Floor, Learner Centre
10215-108 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1L6




Monday - Thursday
7:30 AM - 7:00 PM

7:30 AM - 5:00 PM

12:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Closed: Sunday & Statutory holidays

Note: Please have your student ID number, home address and phone number available before contacting the Computer Commons. Email requests must include this information.