An education with
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
Learn to perform the critical work of cleaning, disinfecting, sterilizing, packaging, and storing surgical and medical instruments to prevent and control the spread of infection. Upon graduation you will be prepared to write the Medical Device Reprocessing Technician certification exam through the Canadian Standards Association.
During the 27-week program, you will learn anatomy and physiology, microbiology, infection prevention and control, workplace communication, and the procedures necessary for work as a medical device reprocessing technician.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are able to complete the Certified Medical Device Reprocessing Technician exam offered by the Canadian Standards Association.
For specific information on the certification processes, view the CSA's Personnel Certification Guide. To apply to take the certification exam, you will require a high school diploma or equivalent (e.g., GED). If you have any questions about satisfying the prerequisite to complete the certification exam, you should contact the CSA directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals are more likely to be successful in this career if they:
- are physically able to manage workplace demands (e.g. standing for long periods of time, able to lift up to 16 kg/35 lbs, push or pull up to 45 kg/100 lbs)
- are able to work shift work, including evenings and weekends
- work well in a team environment and have good communication skills
- are able to perform repetitive tasks for long periods of time
- are comfortable working with blood and other biomaterials
- have access to a PC computer with a stable internet connection
- have keyboarding and basic computer skills
- are able to dedicate 40-50 hours per week for full-time studies
This program includes a 400 hour practicum.
The practicum may be arranged in or close to the student's community. The student's practicum schedule will follow the preceptor's schedule and may include day, evening, or night shifts any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. Students are required to work full-time during the practicum and provide their own transportation to the facility.