Hospital Unit Clerk
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
16 weeks, including four-week practicum
TUITION & FEES
Total tuition: $3,990.00
Total fees: $998.00
Total tuition: $11,571.00
Total fees: $998.00
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 50% in Mathematics 10C or equivalent*
*Note: If it has been 10 or more years since you completed mathematics courses (i.e. Math 10, 20, 30 or Math 13, 23, 33), you will be required to complete a skills assessment, take a challenge exam, or complete upgrading to meet the mathematics requirement.More details
Hospital unit clerks play a vital role in managing communication and information in hospital nursing units, and are the first point of contact for patients. Learn medical terminology, how to process medical orders, communication skills, administrative procedures, and computer skills. Obtain your certificate in just four months, including a four-week practicum.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands.
- have access to transportation to complete their practicum/work experience.
- have access to a computer, internet connection and basic keyboarding/computer skills
- are able to work shift work
- are able to dedicate 10-20 additional hours per week over and above regular course hours
- work well in a team environment
- are able to work 150 hours, four weeks of full-time work to complete the practicum including different shifts and weekend work
- can type 30-35 net words per minute before the program starts
Our program prepares you for this position with classroom or online instruction and work experience in a medical setting. Learn about medical terminology, processing medical orders, communication skills, administrative procedures, and computer skills.
Note: Students will need access to a PC compatible computer with Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) installed throughout the duration of the program. A Mac computer will not work for this program.
This 16-week program includes a four-week practicum.
This program is available at all regional campuses in an online delivery format.