PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
- Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- Mathematics – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- 65% in MATH 1905 or 50% in Mathematics 10-3
This fast-paced Hospital Unit Clerk program will prepare you to play a vital administrative role in managing communication and information in a hospital nursing unit. Students learn medical terminology, how to process medical orders, communication skills, administrative procedures, and computer skills. Further, students will participate in a four-week work experience placement in a health-care facility to practice and refine their skills.
Individuals are more likely to be successful in this career if they:
- enjoy working with the public
- are emotionally able to manage workplace demands (death and high stress/volume situations)
- work well in a multi-disciplinary team
- are able to work shift work, including evenings and weekends
- are willing to work in more than one unit/facility
- have access to a PC computer with a stable Internet connection
- have keyboarding and basic computer skills
- can type 40 words per minute before the program starts
- are able to dedicate 40-50 hours per week for full-time studies
This program includes a 150-hour practicum.
The practicum may be arranged in or close to the student's community. The student's practicum schedule will follow the preceptor's schedule and may include day, evening, or night shifts any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. Students are required to work full-time during the practicum and provide their own transportation to the facility.