Connect patients to care
Hospital Unit Clerk
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
Hospital unit clerks are the first point of contact for patients and play a vital role in managing communication and information in hospital nursing units. Learn medical terminology, how to process medical orders, communication skills, administrative procedures, and computer skills.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- enjoy working with the public
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands
- have access to transportation to complete their practicum
- have access to a computer, internet connection, and basic keyboarding/computer skills
- are able to work shift work
- are able to dedicate 40-50 hours per week for full-time studies
- work well in a team environment
- can type 40 words per minute before the program starts (try a test)
This program includes a practicum totalling 150 hours.
The practicum may be arranged in or close to the student's community. The student's practicum schedule will follow the preceptor's schedule and may include day, evening, or night shifts any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. Students are required to work full-time during the practicum.