Hospital Unit Clerk
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
16 weeks, including a four-week practicum
TUITION & FEES
Total tuition: $3,990.00
Total fees: $893.00
Total tuition: $11,970.00
Total fees: $893.00
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 50% in Mathematics 10C or Mathematics 10-3 or equivalent
Hospital unit clerks play a vital role in managing communication and information in hospital nursing units, and are the first point of contact for patients. Learn medical terminology, how to process medical orders, communication skills, administrative procedures, and computer skills. Obtain your certificate in just four months, including a four-week practicum.
Our program prepares you for this position with classroom or online instruction and practicum in a medical setting. Learn about medical terminology, processing medical orders, communication skills, administrative procedures, and computer skills.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands.
- have access to transportation to complete their practicum.
- have access to a computer, internet connection and basic keyboarding/computer skills
- are able to work shift work
- are able to dedicate 10-20 additional hours per week over and above regular course hours
- work well in a team environment
- are able to work 150 hours, four weeks of full-time work to complete the practicum including day, evening, or night shifts on any day of the week, including weekends and holidays
- can type 30-35 net words per minute before the program starts
This 16-week program includes a four-week practicum. For all delivery methods, practicum may be arranged in or close to the student's community. The student's practicum schedule will follow their preceptor's schedule and may include day, evening, or night shifts any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. Students are required to work full-time during the practicum.
This program is available at all regional campuses in an online delivery format.