PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in English Language Arts 20-2
- 55% in English Language Arts 30-2
The three-term, 48-week Health Care Aide for English Language Learners program combines English language training with the Health Care Aide certificate program. Students will take English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in the first term, then demonstrate their English language proficiency before completing Health Care Aide courses in the second and third terms of the program.
Health Care Aide for English Language Learners is funded by the Government of Alberta. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and eligible for funding to take this program. For eligible students, grant funding will cover the costs of:
- tuition and mandatory fees,
- living expenses,
- textbooks and supplies, and
- the cost of a mandatory English language proficiency test during the program
NorQuest’s Health Care Aide program is among the largest in Canada and prepares you to be a part of a health-care team in a variety of different settings, providing a high level of front-line care to clients in need of assistance. NorQuest College is licensed to deliver the Health Care Aide Government of Alberta Provincial Curriculum.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- maximize their English practice skills in listening, speaking, writing and reading throughout their entire program
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands
- have access to a vehicle to travel to complete their practicum
Students should have access to a computer with internet and have basic computer skills.
Applicants should review the job requirements listed below and assess your ability to fulfill the demands of the health care aide occupation.
As a health care aide, you must be able to:
- work day, evening, and night shifts any day of the week
- be on your feet for extended periods of time
- bend, squat, and lift up to 40 pounds to move clients who have minimal body strength
- function effectively in stressful situations
- perform all skills independently
This program includes three practicums totalling 320 hours.