Step forward into
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
TUITION & FEES
- Language Arts – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- Mathematics – this requirement can be met with any of the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in Mathematics 20-1 or 70% in Mathematics 20-2
- 50% in Mathematics 30-1 or 60% in Mathematics 30-2
- 60% in MATH 1524
- Biology – this requirement can be met with the following, or an equivalent course:
- 60% in Biology 30
One of the largest in Canada, NorQuest’s Practical Nurse program will prepare you to play a vital, front-line role in providing high-quality care to clients in a variety of health-care settings.
Students are more likely to be successful in this program if they:
- are physically and emotionally able to manage workplace demands
- have access to a vehicle to travel to complete their clinical practice
- have access to a computer and Internet, and basic computer skills
- are able to demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour
Applicants are requested to assess their ability to fulfill the demands of the occupation of practical nurse. As a practical nurse, you must be able to:
- work shifts and weekends
- be on your feet for extended periods of time
- use your knees, back, and arms to move clients who have minimal body strength
- provide care to support people of various diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds, gender identities, sexual preferences, and socio-economic status
- function effectively in stressful situations
- perform all skills independently
Students are required to travel to various locations to complete their clinical practice. Access to a vehicle may be required.
Refer to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta website for more information about becoming a licensed practical nurse.
This program includes four practicums totalling 680 hours of clinical practice.
Practicums may be arranged in or close to the student's community. The student's practicum schedule will follow the preceptor's schedule and may include day, evening, or night shifts any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. Students are required to work full-time during the practicum and provide their own transportation to the facility.